Are you ready to start living a healthier and more natural lifestyle? Looking to experience more happiness and energy?
In a society as fast-paced as the one we live in, it's important to take the time to unwind and take care of yourself.
Fortunately, living a holistic lifestyle doesn't have to be complicated, expensive, or time-consuming. With a few simple tricks and changes, you can be on your way to feeling happier and healthier.
Let's get into the essentials!
Elements of a Holistic Lifestyle
Eat Clean, Local, and Natural Foods
We all know that proper nutrition is important. The foods you eat are associated with maintaining a healthy weight and reducing the risk for chronic disease. Healthy, whole foods can help us in a myriad of ways, from having more energy to clearer skin.
Unfortunately, today, many people quickly jump towards artificial, sugary, or greasy foods. Convenience is prioritized over health and well-being.
Focusing on a healthy diet is one of the best ways to maintain a holistic lifestyle. Small steps are key! Focus on making one change at a time.
A few tips to get started:
- Shop the perimeters of your local grocery store. This is where you're most likely to find the fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and meats. Middle aisles tend to carry the artificial, convenient foods
- Get in the habit of having fruit and veggies in every meal
- Try a new farmer's market
- Reduce takeout and restaurant meals
- Take in the right antioxidants
- Grab a reusable water bottle and drink plenty of water
- Learn and cook a new healthy recipe for your family
Remember, your body and health is often a reflection of the nutrients you put in it. Don't take this for granted!
The research is in: we're a really stressed-out nation, with over 75% of adults reporting experiencing moderate to severe levels of stress in the past 30 days.
We're all busy, but this nonstop moving and go-getter action comes with a hefty cost.
Mindfulness, on the other hand, is associated with a huge array of benefits ranging from an increase in energy, self-esteem, and even sleep.
To start, practice taking deep breaths. Inhale as long as you can, then exhale as long as you can. Repeat for as long as necessary.can be as simple as learning and practicing deep breathing. It can move into forms of yoga or tai chi.
Check out guided meditations and look into progressive muscle relaxation. Sign up for a yoga or tai chi class! A holistic lifestyle emphasizes the mind-body connection, and mindfulness reinforces this message.
Spend More Time Outdoors
Ever notice how good you feel after being out in nature? Ever felt happier after a day at the beach or on a long hike?
The connection isn't random. Even though we spend much of our time behind closed doors and in front of computer screens, our bodies crave being outdoors.
We're meant to run, stretch, dance, and move our bodies in natural ways. Just take a look at children playing at the park. When was the last time you went down a slide or swung on the swings?
Looking for some fresh ways to get started? Try the following:
- Take a new walking route around your neighborhood
- Pick up a new hobby that you've always wanted to try. Think about roller-skating, stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking
- Spend a weekend day exploring a local national park
- Take a trail run in the mountains
- Swim in the ocean
- Go camping with friends or family
- Run barefoot through the grass
- Begin gardening
- Eat more meals or drink your morning coffee outdoors
A holistic lifestyle is a carefree lifestyle. Enjoy the sunshine!
Take Care of Your World
No matter who you are or where you live, we all share one home: the Planet Earth. But, are you doing what you can to take care of our beautiful environment?
The holistic lifestyle values individual and societal health. This means taking care of our surroundings and doing what we can to preserve the world's beauty and safety.
To kickstart your holistic lifestyle with the Planet Earth in mind, consider the following:
- Get in the habit of recycling as often as possible. You know you should be doing it, anyway
- Minimize packaging waste
- Consider walking/biking and carpooling to work instead of driving alone
- Buy used items rather than brand-new goods
- Reduce electricity in your home
- Limit shower time and running water
- Consider reducing the meat in your diet
- Get in the habit of buying cruelty-free, organic items. These companies and brands tend to promote healthy and sustainable living
- Reuse and/or donate items whenever possible
Be Generous, Kind, and Loving
A holistic lifestyle entails a sense of compassion and joy for the world you live in. This means extending generosity and pleasure to others.
If your social relationships could use a bit of TLC, focus on what you can do to improve communication and closeness with the people around you.
Some basic reminders:
- Practice random acts of kindness. Send thank-you cards just because. Do a favor for someone without being asked
- Learn to take a non-judgmental and curious (rather than critical) stance when people have different opinions from yours
- Reach out to make a new friend. Get involved in your community, join a new club or take up a new gym class
- Help out your neighbors
- Carve out some time each week for volunteering. Visit the elderly, play with puppies at a shelter- the options are endless
- Reach out to the people you love on a regular basis
The journey towards wellness is a continuous work in progress. There is no perfection, and that's okay. The holistic lifestyle is not meant to be rushed or forced. It is important and beneficial to enjoy the journey and learn along the way.
Have questions? Want to drop a comment. We want to know! In fact, we want to know all about your journey. Contact us and let us know about the healthy habits you're integrating into your life.